Bringing sustainable design & spray foam insulation together
What makes sustainable design and spray foam insulation an ideal combination for architects?
- On average, 30% of the energy used in commercial buildings is wasted1.
- Commercial buildings cost their owners more than $100 billion annually in energy costs1.
- Commercial buildings account for 18% of the nation’s energy use and nearly 18% of greenhouse gas emissions1.
- By 2035, 75% of all buildings will be either new or renovated1.
These facts empower architects to shape a more sustainable future. Energy efficiency is one of the ways Icynene spray foam insulation can contribute to sustainable design. When considering sustainable design and spray foam insulation, most insulation types only deliver R value, but building science teaches us that the inclusion of an air seal like that provided by Icynene spray foam insulation is vital for total building performance.
Key Contributions of Icynene as Commercial Spray Foam Insulation:
- Energy efficiency (for reduced greenhouse gas emissions)
- Healthier indoor environments
- Reduced materials usage
- Safer formulas
- The option to choose a renewably based formula
1Source: 2011 Fast Facts: ENERGY STAR Commercial Building Design.
In 2006, the American Institute of Architects wisely adopted Architecture 2030's "2030 Challenge," an initiative seeking carbon neutrality in the industry by 2030. "[W]e believe we must alter our profession's actions," the AIA 2030 Commitment says, "and encourage our clients and the entire design and construction industry to join with us to change the course of the planet's future.
As an air-sealing solution, Icynene spray foam insulation can help:
- Reduce carbon emissions by thousands of tons annually
- Provide savings of up to 50% in heating and cooling
- Seal out airborne pollutants, allergens and moisture for a healthier indoor environment
- Reduce the amount of commercial building materials required and help shorten construction schedules
Your ICYNENE Dealer can tell you more about using ICYNENE for sustainable buildings.