Some homes are designed with floors over unoccupied spaces. These may be internal spaces, such as the bonus room over a garage, or external spaces, such as a room over an overhang or cantilevered floor. Using Icynene® spray foam insulation can help keep these rooms comfortable.
- The bonus room over the garage or porch is often uncomfortable. In cold climates, for example, floors can be 10° F cooler than the room. This is because, in the ceiling of the garage, insulation does not stay in contact with the floor above as Icynene spray foam insulation would. Due to voids/air spaces in fibrous insulation, the floor in the bonus room is colder than the rest of the home.
- Without extra sealing material, conventional insulation can allow exterior air, exhaust fumes and odors to penetrate from the garage or exterior into the living space above.
- Cantilevered floors or overhangs (where an upper floor projects beyond the dimensions of the floor below) can have cold floors if not properly insulated.
Results of Using Icynene Spray Foam for Bonus Room Insulation or Cantilevered Floor Insulation
- The tenacious adhesive characteristics of Icynene spray foam insulation allow for a seamless bond with the substrate, free from voids of any kind. This means an evenly heated/cooled floor and interior space for optimal comfort.
- By protecting the adjoining living space against fumes originating from the garage below, the Icynene spray foam insulation creates a healthier indoor environment.