Position Title: Research & Development Chemist
Location: Mississauga, ON, Canada
The Research and Development (R&D) Chemist is primarily responsible for the research and development of new products and the refinement and optimization of current products. The R&D Chemist will bring forward innovative product concepts by identifying market opportunities and exploiting an intimate familiarity with cutting edge developments in the field of polyurethane/polymer chemistry.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, implements and manages formal research projects focused on the development of new products for commercialization and the refinement and optimization of current products.
- Prepares polyurethane foams at the bench scale as well as in the pilot facility using industrial grade proportioners.
- Participates in field evaluations of new products and the preparation of samples for testing to the building standards globally.
- Manages all aspects of a project from concept through successfully completing the required third party testing.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of innovations in polyurethane foam chemistry, building materials as well as polymer science. Proficiency in literature and patent searching is essential to the role.
- Analyzes, interprets and prepares research data in formalized reports and presentations. Statistical methods and advanced analytics would be a distinct advantage.
- Provides support and guidance to the adjacent technical disciplines.
- Exhibits ownership for R&D infrastructure and maintains a commitment to health and safety.
- Evaluates competitive products and new materials.
Desired Skills and Experience
Knowledge and Skill Requirements:
- Thorough understanding of polymer chemistry
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of laboratory principles, practices and procedures with a commitment to health and safety
- Extensive knowledge of the insulation market, materials, function and performance
- Experience gained in a continuous improvement or re-engineering setting
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with all Microsoft office programs
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Exceptional quantitative skills and project management abilities
- Extensive skills in conducting investigations and gathering information
- Proven skills in problem analysis and resolution
- Holds a valid Passport with the ability to travel globally.
- MSc or PhD degree in Chemistry or related field
- Fifteen (15) years’ work experience as a Chemist in a laboratory setting, preferably in polymer chemistry.