Planning your home improvements with Icynene spray foam insulation
Some types of building improvements provide greater value to the property than others. With Icynene spray foam insulation, it's easy to generate return on investment by implementing smart building upgrades that support superior heating and cooling management.
It's important to bear in mind that building rules and regulations vary between regions. Certain states, provinces and parts of the world have various requirements for executing these kinds of improvements. Knowing the laws and demands of different parts of the country is important for getting the best benefit from Icynene spray foam insulation. Below are a couple of home improvement options that do not require permits.
- Home insulation - As the City of Minneapolis wrote, most insulation projects in the US don't require permits for spray foam insulation upgrades. As long as these construction issues aren't in a commercial building and the total thickness of the wall is less than 3 feet thick, a resident can carry out these installations or get a certified Icynene contractor to do the work without any documentation.
- Window upgrades - Feel free to add Energy Star windows and doors without getting a permit. The source stated that repairing, installing or replacing windows, storm doors and shutters are all easy to achieve, partially because there's no demand for permitting by the government.
Below are some upgrades that require permits.
- Driveways and sidewalks - These structures are directly related to accessing public roads, so having a permit for a sidewalk or driveway is mandatory.
- Changing use - How Stuff Works commented that this is one condition wherein all homeowners need a permit. Altering a non-living space into a habitation, such as a garage or attic, requires legal permission.
- Decks and additions - Some decks and additions require permits. The deciding factor in whether this paperwork is needed or not is based on how high the structure is and how far it is from existing buildings.
When generating ideas for how to improve a building, talk to a certified Icynene contractor to find out about the intricacies of getting these projects started. Applying for a permit and remaining in compliance with local standards takes the knowledge and expertise of a specialist like those at Icynene.