Spray foam in commercial exterior walls
Spray foam insulation in commercial exterior walls can be applied in a few ways – as continuous insulation or within a cavity.
Continuous insulation wall systems
Medium-density closed-cell spray foam insulation applied in a continuous insulation wall system provides a high-performance all-in-one insulation, air barrier and water-resistive barrier solution. Spray foam insulation in continuous insulation applications offers a range of advantages over traditional rigid foam board material, including the following:
- provides a tight and complete seal over minimal required wall penetrations (brick ties)
- has a lower installed cost for a superior air barrier assembly
- requires less labour and less construction material waste
- is easily applied to curved or irregular shaped surfaces
- completely covers areas that could otherwise permit energy-draining thermal bridges
Spray foam insulation in continuous insulation applications is a total high-performance wall assembly solution that enhances any architectural design for the Canadian climate.
Icynene’s Engineering and Building Science teams can work with your firm to develop a wall assembly suited for your design.
External wall insulation – cavity
External wall cavities and panel wall systems are usually insulated with traditional rigid foam board or fibrous insulation types. In addition to issues of air loss and moisture management, traditional insulation used in external wall cavities restricts the intended flexibility and creativity in your design. Joints and penetrations are usually difficult and time-consuming to insulate, and subject to quality issues. Furthermore, there is difficulty in insulating unusual shapes with traditional rigid foam board insulation.
The advantages of spray foam insulation in external wall cavities over traditional insulation types include:
- increased energy efficiency and improved indoor air quality
- easily insulates edges and penetrations
- can be applied to most types of substrates
- maintains performance qualities over the long term
- can reject bulk water ingress
- minimizes moisture penetrati