ICC & RESNET to aid with Energy Rating Index Compliance Option in 2015 building code
RESNET and the International Code Council have agreed to a comprehensive strategy to ease the transition of the implementation of the energy rating index option in state and local energy codes for the 2015 building code. This move comes after the ICC adopted an energy rating option into the 2015 resulting in HERS Index Scores becoming an integral part of determining compliance with the 2015 IECC.
The announcement on Monday 9 June from RESNET identifies several areas of the strategy including:
- enhance the process of energy code analysis and inspection of new homes, to reduce the time and expense of inspections on home builders, reduce the number of re-inspections, and enhance the level of compliance with local or state adopted versions of the IECC
- development and distribution of training and other materials that would facilitate the use by local and state code officials of HERS raters
- customized ICC Membership for Certified RESNET HERS raters and
- sharing of information and strategies related to achieving state and local adoptions of the 2015 IECC and IRC model codes, inclusive of the RE-188 provision
- plus several additional areas of collaboration and support
Extensive details of the agreed strategy between the two organizations can be found here.